Sunday 14 June 2015

My Hair Extension Experience

Rewind back six months ago. I was sick of looking at my fine hair and I was tired of putting in and taking out my clip-in hair extensions. They began to only make an appearance on nights out and even at that clipping them in and styling them took up so much time. I began to contemplate getting semi-permanent hair extensions. The thoughts of waking up with thicker, longer and more voluminous hair appealed to me so much but there were so many options and I didn't know where to start .. Tape, micro-beads or bonds? On top of that what brand was I going to choose? Where was I going to get them done? And were they going to damage my hair? There is so much to choose from nowadays and you have to be so careful when choosing your hairdresser/salon.

I first went to a small salon just to get my colour done and my plan was to talk with the hairdresser about the extensions they had available. Little did I know that I would be walking out with what I thought was my dream hair. I decided to try the tape-in extensions as they were quick to apply and affordable at  only €150. It seemed too good to be true at such a good price. The tape is applied underneath and on top of the strand of your hair and stuck together. They were big squares of tape that I could feel and see as soon as I tied back my hair. They were sticking out everywhere. The first time I washed them 2-3 hair extensions fell out. It got to a point where they all started to slide down my hair and fell out one by one. This was only a week or two after I got them in and they were expected to last two months. I went back to the salon and they said they had been getting a lot of complaints about the tape and they figured it wasn't strong enough so they very kindly replaced the extensions that fell out with new tape free of charge. They also said they would fix anymore that fell out but it got to the stage where I just wanted them out of my hair altogether. I managed to take them all out myself as they just slid out with some conditioner and coconut oil. I was relieved but started to look into other options.

I was looking at the bigger brands such as Great Lengths, EasiLocks and Platinum. Price was a big thing for me as I am a student after all and didn't want to be forking out hundreds to be disappointed again. I had heard some great things about all three brands but I was able to see the Platinum extensions upfront. I went to college with a girl who had them in and she highly recommended them. Luckily for me they were also the cheapest of the three with a special offer in February for €299 (Usually €349 for a full head). Platinum use 100% human hair and offer prebonded extensions or micro-beads . The hair used is said to be one of the finest on the market. I decided to go with the prebonds as I had the fear of the micro beads slipping out similar to the tape. Prebonds are applied using a hair extensions bonding iron so heat is applied. It may be more damaging but they are nonslip and you are unlikely to lose any. 

I had a consultation the week before the application in the Platinum Salon just off Grafton Street. I paid a €50 deposit and I got colour matched by one of the Platinum extensionists, Emma. I was matched to the shade 25 from the Swedish line. The application took place the week after. I was sooo excited and everyone knew about it. I had just got a full head of highlights the week before and I was more than ready to have my dream hair. The application took about 2 hours but with such friendly staff they made you feel at ease and the time flew. The extensions are 20 inches but can be cut to whatever length you like. I wanted to keep the length so  Emma just cut off the tips and evened it up as well as shaping and and styling my hair. To say I was pleased is an understatement. I wanted to scream I was so happy with the result. I finally had the Princess hair that I had always dreamed of. I was given an aftercare sheet on how to look after the extensions and how to make them last as long as possible. I also bought a loop brush from the salon to make brushing the extensions easier and it made such a difference.


I was so shocked at how small and unnoticeable the bonds were. No one could tell I even had extensions even when I tied my hair back. The hair blended in perfectly with my own. The colour was perfect and made my hair look even more blonde (which is what I wanted). I could not have been happier. I love having a long pony and I can wear them or style them any way I like. They are very manageable even when let dry naturally. They dry into a light wave exactly like my own hair so they're perfect. The odd time I would get a few knots around the bonds as my hair is unbelievably knotty but nothing I couldn't handle. There was no sign of them budging whatsoever.

Before and After



I was told I would get 3-5 months out of the extensions and here I am in June, five months on, and I only got them out last week. It was only this month that I started to loose hair when I brushed them and the bonds had grown out quite a bit but after all these months I have not lost ONE! They had begun to matte quite a bit so I had to keep separating the bonds. I knew it was time to get them out .. I have an appointment for last Tuesday to get them removed. The removal consisted of spraying alcohol on the bond and breaking it with a pliers. The bonds slide out so easily but the remaining glue just has to be combed out. It took a little over an hour which was great considering the amount of bonds I had in my hair. I wanted to get them back in again but I am going away for a month and I didn't think the sun or chlorine would do them any good. I feel now I can't live without them and I cannot wait to get them back in. I am already booked in for August. 

As for damage? I can't see any. My hair looks great. It has grown so much and needs a little trim but other than that I cannot get over the way it looks after having the extensions in for so long. I think the months break will be good though as I cant see getting them in back to back being great for your hair. For now, I would highly recommend you check out the Platinum brand. They have clients such as XFactor contestants, Janet Grogan and Orla Carmen, Bloggers, FacesbyGace and LovebyDebs, as well as a number of Irish models and personalities sporting their extensions. They really are great quality and cannot praise them enough. They are also on the more affordable end of the spectrum of popular extension brands. 



Platinum also announced that they will be launching an even higher quality extension range that will be available in 22 inches. Exciteddd! I cannot wait to try them. I will be like Repunzel before you know it. Check out Platinum's facebook page here to keep up to date with the most recent Platinum transformations. Also keep an eye out for their special €299 offer every few months. You will become obsessed. Don't say I didn't warn you. Hehe! If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. Mwah!
Holly X

No comments:

Post a Comment