Saturday 4 July 2015

Summer Essentials Part 1: Sun Protection

Since I'm away in sunny Spain soaking up the rays for the next few weeks (Don't be jealous!), I thought I'd do a couple of posts on all my essentials for the Summer season. Whether it be protecting the skin or just wanting to look good in the sun, I'll try cover it all.

First up, lets talk SPF. There has been a lot of controversy about sun protection products lately with a lot of brands claiming to protect the skin from UVA and UVB (as that is what sun cream is suppose to do), yet people are still finding themselves getting burnt. The factors aren't always what they claim to be and can sometimes be less than what is stated on the bottle. It is important to always do your research before spending money on sun lotion, as they can often be very expensive. 

I picked up four different sun lotions before I went away. First, I have the La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Cream SPF 50+ in the Comfort formula. This is a MUST have! I use this stuff on my face all year round and have been using it for about two years now and not once have I got burnt. I find sun lotion always make me break out on my face but this one is different. It is non-comedogenic which means it doesn't block pores and it's suitable for sensitive and sun-intolerant skin. I have tried it in the tinted formula too but found it to go on quite patchy so for now I'm sticking to the 'No White Marks' cream. It was €20 for a 50ml tube from Boots but is currently on special offer for €15. 


As I am as pale as a ghost (no exaggeration), I picked up the highest factor for my body to prevent myself from burning. It is the ol' reliable Granier Ambre Solaire, which is probably one of the most popular choices when it comes to sun protection. They have such a huge range and it is available just about anywhere (even in Penneys). I went for the Sensitive Advanced for fair, sensitive and sun-intolerant skin in SPF 50+. I will use this on my neck, chest, shoulders and back as I find they get burnt the easiest. It is a really nice formula and is non-greasy as well as being water resistant. I have only been here two days but so far so good! I bought a 200ml bottle from Boots for €11. They're currently offering customers two selected Ambre Solaire products for €20. Click here to have a look for yourself.


I also got the Boots Soltan Protect and Moisturise Suncare Lotion in SPF 30 but after purchasing I heard some bad reviews with the likes of FacesByGrace saying she burned with it on. The problem is they say they are SPF 30 but are probably really ranging from SPF 20-25. I brought it with me as I will gradually ease my skin into a lower factor when my skin gets a little more used to the sun so it's not completely going to waste.


After hearing the bad reviews on Soltan I was feeling a bit skeptical so decided to go on the search for another factor 30. My Mam had been using the Piz Buin Tan and Protect Tan Intensifying Sun Lotion the previous year on her holidays and she loved it. A mother knows best as they say so I decided to pick up a bottle. It contains an ingredient called Melatin which helps to enhance your skin's natural tanning process. My Mam said it really helped her with getting a tan and prolonging it with the intense moisturisation that it provides. I started using it today on my arms, legs and stomach and it has left my skin feeling and looking soft and smooth. I haven't gotten burnt just yet either. I'm still waiting on that tan but I'm feeling doubtful. The only tan I will ever get is from a bottle. Ahaha!


As well as wearing sun cream and re-applying after toweling or being in the pool, it is so important to protect your eyes from the harmful UV rays. Wearing sunglasses can help prevent ageing and reduce headaches and eyestrain. I have picked up so many pairs for my holidays which I will feature on the blog soon but today I am wearing these gorgeous Purple Round Frame Sunglasses from New Look. I feel they're very 70's.


It is also important to protect the scalp by wearing a sun hat. I prefer one with a large brim to shade the face, neck, chest and shoulders. A sun hat will also minimize the damage the sun can do to your hair as well as reducing the chances of getting sun stroke (It isn't nice .. Trust me!). I picked up a White Straw Floppy Hat with Black Band from New Look which they also have in the colours black and stone online here.
So stay safe in the sun kids! I will be back during the week with my essential tanning products for Summer (fake tanning that is), for myself and my fellow milk bottles. Mwah!
Holly X


No comments:

Post a Comment