Monday 13 July 2015

Summer Essentials Part 2: Tanning

So next up let's talk tanning. This is for my fellow pale-skinned girls who want a natural looking tan but know they'll need to fake it to make it. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with being pale. This is just a personal preference. I'm a lover of fake tan and don't believe in allowing myself to burn with the slight chance it might turn into a light tan. Plus it's a safer alternative.  

Starting with the basics, make sure you exfoliate well and moisturise areas such as your elbows, knees, hands and feet as well as any other dry areas you may have. This is a must before self-tanning as it will make the application a lot easier whilst also helping your tan last longer. I like to go for a gradual/developing tan instead of an instant/wash-off formula. This means you can get a number of days out of your tan. It's also a better option if you plan on going to the pool or beach.

I picked up a few different brands of tan before I left for Spain. One was my all time favourite fake tanners, Laurens Way. It is unbelievable! I have used the mousse and lotion but decided to pick up the spray this time for a change. I was hoping to achieve the look of a professional spray tan.  I bought the Lauren's Way Glam Tan in 'Darker than Dark' which is the perfect shade for those wanting to achieve that deep dark tan without applying multiple layers. It goes on so smooth and instantly you are left with a gorgeous glow.  It is light weight and you aren't left with that sticky feeling. I allow it to develop overnight or leave it for a minimum of 8 hours before showering. Lauren's Way tan has green undertones giving it the look of a more natural and realistic tan. It fades evenly and lasts up to seven days with good maintenance; moisturising and exfoliating lightly throughout the week is key. It has even held up pretty well with being in and out of the pool. The only consequence is a little bit of fading but nothing a little top up couldn't sort. It is definitely my holy grail tan and is always my go-to tan for a night out or event. I've had to order it online in the past but last week I found out that Allure Beauty Salon in Drumcondra stocks it as well as Superdrug (AMAZING!) in the Omni Shopping Centre, Santry.




While in Superdrug, I also bought the Bondi Sands' Dark Tanning Lotion. I had heard great things about the Australian brand and when I saw it in store I just couldn't resist. I applied this the night before I left for Spain. I don't know if it was my mitt or the tan itself but I felt it went on very mucky looking and it was very difficult to rub in especially around the neck and chest area. I went to bed feeling a bit skeptical about how it was going to look the next morning. I have to admit though it smells AMAZING! The coconut scent is to die for and to my surprise, once I had showered I had been left with a gorgeous, natural looking tan. It was not quite as dark as I would have liked but I couldn't believe how flawless it looked, A week on into my holidays and it still looked great. My Mam even complimented my tan and she's a tough critic. I plan on getting a new mitt and hopefully the application will go a little smoother next time but other than that I am very impressed. Check out the Bondi Sands website for more or pop into Superdrug.



To maintain my tan, I like to use a moisturiser that contains a self-tanner. I like the Dove Summer Glow Nourishing Lotion for Medium to Dark skin. It was the first fake tan I ever used as a thirteen year old. It adds a natural glow and gives you sun-kissed looking skin. It really hydrates the skin and prolongs previously applied fake tan whilst adding a bit of extra colour. It has a very strong tan smell which may be a turn-off for some. I like to apply this once or twice a week over either the Lauren's Way or Bondi Sands once I have showered off the excess but it can also be worn alone. The Dove Summer Glow Nourishing Lotion is also available for Fair to Medium skin. I picked this up at half price for €3.75 (Usually €7.49) in McCabes Pharmacy. It's affordable for those not wanting to spend loads on self-tanners and it's also great for first timers.




Sometimes I will go that extra mile and add even more of a glow. I am in looove with the Nuxe Shimmering Dry Oil Huile Prodigieuse. It is a subtly tinted oil with tiny specs of glitter and looks amazing over a tan. It enhances and really gives you that Hollywood glow that stars such as J-Lo and Beyonce sport on the red carpet. The good thing about this oil is that it can be used on your body, on your face and even in your hair. It dries instantly and doesn't leave you feeling greasy. It really is the finishing touch to any look and is an absolute essential product on a night out.




So thats it for my Summer tanning essentials. Next up we'll be talking make-up! Stay tuned and thanks for reading. Mwah!

No comments:

Post a Comment