Friday 7 August 2015

Summer Essentials Part 3: Make-Up Products

Make-up can be a bit of a struggle when away in the hot weather. The heat and humidity can make you look like a hot mess and can result in make-up sweating off your face. I am one of those girls who chooses to go make-up free during the day. It's not very often an Irish girl gets to soak up some Vitamin D so I'm taking the opportunity while I can. Plus, I always feel my skin's appearance improves when it's exposed to the sun (with SPF, of course). In saying that, I like to make a bit more of an effort in the evenings whether it be going out for dinner or drinks or just going for a little stroll. Minimal make-up is something I have begun to take a liking to whilst away and I find myself not wearing half as much make-up as I would at home. I like the appearance of a fresh face and always hope to achieve an awake and natural look. I love dewy skin, groomed brows, plump lips and rosy cheeks. The following products are just a few of what I like to use to help achieve this look.

MAC Strobe Cream


One of my favourite products right now is MAC's Strobe Cream. It is an illuminating moisturiser which is the type of product currently on trend due to the introduction on the 'strobing' technique. Strobe Cream can be worn alone or as a base before you apply your make-up. I like to apply it on the places I like to enhance, i.e. the centre of the forehead, down the bridge of my nose, the top of my cheeks and on my cupids bow. Instantly, your skin looks brighter, smoother and more radiant. It gives your skin such a boost. I feel it really hydrates the skin and gives it a gorgeous glow without making your face greasy or look overly shiny. 

MAC's Strobe Cream retails at €33.50 and can be bought from any MAC store or online.

MAC Studio Face and Body Foundation


My next essential make-up product for the Summer season has to be the MAC Studio Face and Body Foundation. This is such a great product and I feel together with the Strobe Cream, they make a great combination. I'm usually a girl who likes full coverage but when away I like something lighter in coverage. The Face and Body foundation is perfect for this. It helps even out skin tone while also allowing the likes of freckles to show through. It leaves a dewy finish on the skin but can be mattified and set with a small bit of powder. The watery consistency of this foundation is what allows it to be so lightweight and sheer in coverage. I went up a few shades from my natural colour and got C3. It is a great alternative to wearing fake tan on your face. It gives the skin a natural looking glow and can also be used on the body. It helps to even out uneven skin tone, add colour and give the appearance of smoother skin. You will find it is often used on brides as well as catwalk models. MAC's Face and Body proves to be very popular with the professionals.

This foundation retails at €31.50 for a 50ml bottle and can be bought from and MAC store or from the Brown Thomas website.

Inglot Freedom System Pressed Powder


If you would like to go that extra mile and still want to include contouring in your make-up routine, the Inglot Pressed Powders are great for sculpting the face. I use the shade 17. I always opt for a cooler, ashier shade when contouring as cool tones have a slimming effect on the face. I like this as a bronzing powder as it can be used in small amounts to achieve a natural, light contour or can be built up to give a full on chizzled look. I would definitely advise powdering before applying this otherwise it can appear mucky and go quite patchy. 

The Inglot Pressed Powders come in an array of shades and retail at €22. You can pick up yours from any Inglot store/counter or online.

MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes



If you would like to add a little warmth to your skin, the Mac Skinfinishes are products I would highly recommend. They are shimmery mineral powders that come in a variety of different shade. I have three of the Mineralize Skinfinish powders; Lightscapade, Global Glow and Gold Deposit. I prefer 'Lightscapade' for Winter if warmth is what you want for Summer as it is a cooler white tone compared to the rest. It makes a gorgeous highlighter and is subtle enough for everyday use. 'Global Glow' is more of a nude shade with a silver sheen. It comes out a very neutral colour which is perfect for highlighting or shading depending on your skin tone. I like using this as a contour on my forehead and to blend out any severe cheekbone contour lines on fairer skin but makes a gorgeous highlight on medium to dark skin. It adds warmth and structure to the face as well as a little shimmer. 'Gold Deposit' has to be my absolute favourite. It is the perfect golden shade which I love using to bronze up the skin. It is one of those products that could even be worn alone. I usually use this on my forehead, chest and sometimes cheeks and nose to add a shimmery glow when I'm tanned. 'Gold Deposit' also makes an amazing eyeshadow which really makes blue eyes POP! It can also be used on the body. If you're after the Hollywood glow and want shimmering legs like Beyonce or JLo, a couple of sweeps of one of the skinfinishes and you will be one step closer to achieving the look of the stars.

The MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes are €30 each and can be bought from any MAC store or online.

KIKO Blushers

Blushes are definitely a must whether you decide to contour or not. Blusher adds life back into your skin as well as warmth. It can make you look fresh and awake. Coral and peachy pink colours are always a must have for Summer and they seem to have become very popular within every make-up brand. 



While in Spain, I picked up a number of blushes for my kit as I felt it was one thing I was lacking. I paid KIKO Cosmetics a visit for the first time. I found it so hard to choose just a few items so picked up loads (they had a 50% off sale) including three blushes; Soft Touch Blush 103, Colour Veil Blush 03 and 06. The Soft Touch Blush 103 is the perfect peach colour. It is kind of reddy pink with gold specs. It has a slight shimmer so it's perfect for Summer. The Colour Veil Blush in 03 is a matte pink shade. It is so pretty and adds a subtle hint of colour to the cheeks. 06 is little more brown in colour. It is a nude shade which looks great on tanned skin. I can not get over the quality of KIKO's products. They are so cheap yet so pigmented.

The Soft Touch Blush is €7.50 whilst the Colour Veil Blush is €7.90. Unfortunately, KIKO are yet to come to Ireland and can't even be delivered to the Republic but if you are on holiday in Spain or even the UK, I'd highly encourage you to check if there is a KIKO store in town.

Sleek Rose Gold Blush




I also picked up a blusher from Sleek. Another fantastic and affordable brand (If you haven't tried their eyebrow or contour kit you are missing out). I am in love with their Rose Gold blush. It is almost identical to Nars 'Orgasm'. It is the perfect shade of peachy pink. It has a slight shimmer which creates a golden sheen on the skin. I love it and this little gem is only €5.99 from Boots. Sleek is available nationwide from numerous pharmacies. For a list of full stockists in Ireland click here.

MUD Volumizing Mascara


Now I don't like to go to OTT on my eys when on holidays, A small bit of mascara is what I usually go for. I am quite fair so can't pull off the look of thick black lashes without looking completely false. Therefore, I usually opt for a more natural look. I really like the MUD Volumizing Mascara. I got this as part of my college kit and wasn't a fan until I started using it on myself. It really grabs all your lashes coating them lightly with mascara. The brush is really good at coating all of your bottom lashes which I think is really hard to find in a lot of mascaras. I feel it really lengthens the lashes. You can build it up to add more volume without it looking clumpy. It isn't waterproof but for me it has never transfered or made my eyes run which is often a problem for me when in the heat. I'd highly recommend this mascara if you are looking for natural looking lashes but if you want something more intense this may not be for you.

You can buy this mascara online for €18.91 from the MUD website.

MAC Prep and Prime Translucent Finishing Powder


Last but not least is a product I use to set my make-up, the MAC Prep and Prime Translucent Pressed Powder. This is my all time favourite setting powder and I am on my third or fourth compact. It reduces shine without completely mattifying the skin. It is translucent so doesn't leave a white overcast or lighten the make-up. It doesn't adhere to dry patches or dehydrate the skin which I find a lot of powders do. It keeps my make-up in place all day but may need to be reapplied.

The Prep and Prime Powder is also available in loose form and retails at €26. It can be bought from any MAC store or online.

MAC Fix+ Setting Spray



I like to finish any make-up application off with a couple of spritz of my MAC Fix+ Setting Spray. I have a full review here. It is great for getting rid of that powdery look or freshening up your make-up. It's so hot over here in Spain at the minute so even to just cool you down, the Fix+ is a great product to have at all times.

You can pick up yours from any MAC store or online for €20.

So that's all for my Summer essential series. I hope you enjoyed it. If you have any questions about the products mentioned don't be afraid to get in touch by commenting below or contacting me through one of the links below. Thanks so much for reading! Mwah!
Holly X


No comments:

Post a Comment