Monday 14 July 2014

How To Do DEBS On A Budget

This post is a little different from the rest but I thought it could help some people. The debs are approaching fast and expenses are adding up. I, too, have my debs this year but it is not my first. I have been to three debs in the last two years and I have two this Summer including my own. I know just too well how much pressure there is to find a gorgeous gown along with new shoes, jewellery and clutch bags. On top of this is the expenses of hair, tan, nails and make-up. I have spent a fortune on dresses but realized last year that you don't have to spend hundreds on debs so I'm doing this blog post to help you keep costs down but still look fabulous. 

1. D.I.Y.
Doing things yourself can keep the costs down so much. I like to do things myself to avoid disappointment but that is just me. I understand some say that they are no good at doing their tan, hair and make-up or nails but I am hoping this may change some peoples minds. Lets start off with a little advice on preparing and planning!


Preparing
Prep is key. Firstly getting your skin, hair and nails intact beforehand is a MUST. Look after yourself. After all, you want to be feeling your best and want as little stress as possible.

(i) Skin
The day of the debs is one day we don't want to be dealing with spots or breakouts. This is more of a reason to look after your skin in the weeks following up to the big day. I have been using face masks twice a week, cleansing and toning twice a day (washing off every bit of make up at night), exfoliating once a week, wearing SPF when necessary and always finishing off with a moisturiser or oil. Following these simple steps will bring you on your way to clearer skin. Just try not to overdo it as you don't want to dry out the skin or cause an overproduction of oil.

(ii) Hair
Dry, damaged hair is a no-no when it comes to looking glamorous. Whether its an up-do, big curls or a sleek straight look you are going for, having healthy hair will always make it look ten times better. Damaged and dry hair is also difficult to manage so it is a must when it comes to keeping the hair healthy (Blog post on How to Get Healthy Hair on a Budget click here). Using leave-in conditioners, hair masks or oils (e.g. coconut oil or argan oil) can make such a difference to the condition of your hair. After years of highlighting my hair, I began to use some of the above products and my hair is now in great condition leaving blow-drying and using heated tools to a minimum.

(iii) Nails
Every girl loves to have their nails looking nice for any night out. Letting your nails grow can be an effort and struggle for some but no one likes butty, bitten nails. Allow them to achieve a bit of length. File and shape them in the weeks following up to the debs. If you suffer from dry or brittle nails, why not try some hand and nail cream or a strengthening polish. It may take some patience but think about the end result where you'll be able to paint that polish on to those long, perfectly shaped nails.

(iv) Tanning
For anyone that uses fake tan, you will already know this but exfoliating and moisturising in the days before application is something that must be done. I have found that when done the night before, concentrating on dry areas (elbows, ankles, hands and knees etc.), fake tan goes on a lot better.

Planning
No debutante wants to be worried and stressed on the day of the debs so planning is very important.

(i) Make-Up
Some might refuse to do their own make-up for big events but think about the money you could save doing it yourself. If you have a desired look why not do it yourself? No good at make-up you say? PRACTICE! Decide weeks before on the make-up look you want. Find images, watch tutorials whilst practicing the desired look. It can only get better. I have done this for all the debs I have gone to and it has worked a treat. I have got the needed products organised and know what I am doing before the big day. It definitely helps having things planned in advance.

(ii) Hair
Above is all about planning your make-up, do the same for your desired hairstyle. Grab images, watch tutorials and test hair tools. Practice the hairstyle you want until you get it right and you are all set for those debs pictures. Out of all the debs I have been to, I have only got my hair done once. I have now found a hairdresser I trust and she never disappoints but for yourself, you can save money and avoid disappointment by doing it yourself. There is nothing worse than getting your hair done and hating it, not being able to change it with all that backcombing and hairspray and having to look back at all the pictures regretting wasting your money.

(iii) Nails
You can never go wrong with a slick of paint. Pick a colour that you like and paint your nails. If this isn't good enough then why not pick up a pair of D.I.Y. fake nails. Stick them on and you're sorted for the night.

(iv) Tan
I have seen numerous debutantes going off to their debs looking bright orange after getting their tan done in a salon. I have never got my tan done professionally but I know through friends that it can be very unpredictable. You never know how it's going to turn out. I always stick to the safer option and do it myself. If you follow the prepping tips above, you are ready to grab that mitt and apply that fake tan. I would recommend a developing tan and not an instant tan as it is less likely to rub off on your dress. Some find fake tan difficult to apply but really it's simple. Find a product that does what you want (For 'My Top 5 Tans' click here) and take your time keeping an eye out for any missed spots or blotches. I always start applying my tan in thin layers a couple of nights before the day of the debs.

2. High Street and Online Fashion

Now that we have all the little details sorted, lets move on to the most important thing to every debutante, the DRESS! We all want the nicest dress but who wants to spend hundreds of euro on a dress you will most likely never wear again. I have been there and have spent hundreds of euro but last year I decided to take a different approach. I had an idea in my head of what I wanted so I took to the internet to see if I could find anything. I was skeptical at first but ended up finding a dress for under €25 on Boohoo. I could not believe it and I have to admit I felt a million dollars. It was plain but this allowed me to add my own finishing touches. I added a statement necklace and high shoes and it made such a difference. Since this worked so well for me last year, I decided to take the same approach for both debs this year. I have ordered two dresses, one from ASOS and one from Boohoo. Together they cost me less than €90. When you compare this to the prices of high end designer dresses (or those typical debs dresses that nearly everyone wears...) you have found yourself a bargain. Websites include Boohoo, ASOS, MissGuided, Nasty Gal etc. 
WARNING: You will find multiple sites selling designer evening dresses at ridiculously cheap prices. If it seems too good to be true than most likely it is. Before ordering anything off unfamiliar sites please do your research and make sure it is legit.



Last year I also discovered that some high street stores were selling debs dresses and I have to admit they were gorgeous. The majority were under €100 and looked as if they could cost a lot more. The only thing about these high street dresses is that other debutantes may have the same idea as you and multiple girls may turn up in the same dress. I have seen it happen so be aware. You will also find that you have a great variety of shoes and accessories on the high street and online.

3. Renting

Last year I also decided to rent a dress. By doing so I found both pros and cons. The pros include getting a designer dress for less than half the price of purchasing, having a wide range of dresses to choose from and there being very little risk of anyone having the same dress (dress and school is usually recorded to make sure no one from the same place rents the same dress). Cons include not being able to keep the dress, being pretty pricey sometimes and the risk of  being held responsible for any damage done to the dress on return. I really did feel like a princess for the day but as it was not my own I was at fear the whole night of ripping or spilling anything on the garment. I rented a dress from Cari's Closet as I was adamant to get a dress from the infamous boutique. I paid €180 on top of a €100 deposit (that you get back if there is no damage). It was expensive but you have to remember they are designer dresses and you getting them for a fraction of the price at €60 per day. Renting is just another option and is a lot cheaper than buying designer dresses.



4. Buying Second Hand
A lot of past debutantes don't wear their debs dresses again. This results in hundreds of debs dresses being sold after they've been worn and usually at a fraction of the cost price. You know what they say 'One man's trash is another man's treasure'. You will find second hand dresses online as well as in charity and thrift shops. Take a look on Ebay, DoneDeal, GumTree and DebsIreland and you may find a wee gem that someone no longer wants.

5. Using What You Have
This may seem like common sense but why not wear a bag/clutch, pair of heels or some jewellery that you already have at home. There is no point spending money unnecessarily when you already have suitable shoes, bags/clutches and jewellery already.  

I hope you take some of the above advice as it has really helped me keep the costs down this year. Thanks for reading and enjoy your debs. Mwah!
Holly X





No comments:

Post a Comment